Welcome to BlackBerry Java application development!
BlackBerry® Java® application development provides you with BlackBerry APIs that can help take your application to a new level of function and design. These APIs provide you access to rich media and other compelling technology that you can leverage to create engaging, visually complex, and stunning new apps that seamlessly connect to other apps as well as native BlackBerry applications.
You can use the BlackBerry APIs to create applications that perform the following functions:
- interact with specific built-in features of a BlackBerry device, such as the GPS and mapping functions, the camera and video recorder, the phone, and Bluetooth® technology
- interact with the interaction methods on the BlackBerry device, such as the trackball, touch screen, or keyboard
- integrate with BlackBerry applications, such as the contacts application, the messages application, the BlackBerry® Browser, and BlackBerry® Maps so that you can construct compelling and deeply integrated apps that seamlessly transition from one app to another
- interact with the components of the BlackBerry solution, including the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, push services, and server-side resources so that you can create interactive push applications that provide immediate content-rich information
To get started with BlackBerry Java application development, refer to the following sections:
Categories Index: Read about the different categories of BlackBerry API packages. Find code snippets and overviews that you can use to get started developing applications for BlackBerry devices.
Packages Index: An index of all BlackBerry API packages.
What's new in BlackBerry Java application development 5.0
Version 5.0 provides an enhanced set of BlackBerry APIs that provide you with:
- UI APIs that are easy to use, use advanced graphics and built-in animation, and provide rich out-of-the-box features. For example, Picker API, Screen Transitions API, Autocomplete Field API, Eyelid Field API, Picture Scroll Field API, and Grid Field Manager API.
- Networking APIs that simplify network connectivity. For example, simplify how you create network connections by using the new Network API, connect to hotspots by using the new Hotspot API, and develop push applications by using the new Push API.
- Application integration APIs that allow you to more easily integrate with BlackBerry device applications. For example, add images to the phone screen by using the Phone GUI API, access information about multiple phone lines using the Multi Line Listener API, allow users to link contacts using the Contact Linking API, access location information about a BlackBerry device by using the BlackBerry extension to JSR 179.
For a complete list of new features, visit www.blackberry.com/go/devguides to read the Feature and Technical Overview.
Find out more
- BlackBerry Developer Zone: The central place to get tools, resources, and information to develop, test, and distribute applications for the BlackBerry® Application Platform. Visit the BlackBerry® Developer Zone to get tools, read tutorials, view videos, and take part in hands-on labs.
- Developer Guides: View developer guides, feature and technical overviews, and documentation about developer tools.
- Online Forums: Talk to other developers in developer-specific forums.
- Knowledge Base: Get answers to specific questions in developer-related how-to articles.
Copyright 1999-2010 Research In Motion Limited. 295 Phillip Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3W8. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 1993-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. 901 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, California, 94303, U.S.A.
Copyright 2002-2003 Nokia Corporation All Rights Reserved.
Java is a trademark or registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the US and other countries.