More Productivity, Collaboration and Communication Features for Your BlackBerry Smartphone!
New BlackBerry® Device Software v4.5 brings advancements like document downloading and editing, html and rich text email rendering, remote search for messages and a range of advanced instant messaging (IM) features to your BlackBerry® smartphone. Designed for BlackBerry® 8700 Series, BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8100 Series, BlackBerry® Curve™ 8300 Series, and BlackBerry® 8800 Series smartphones, now it's easier than ever to keep in touch with colleagues, collaborate on projects, and be even more productive on the go.
Here's a look at some of the new features below (note some features are only available with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software):
Document Downloading and Editing – Documents To Go® by DataViz® is integrated into the BlackBerry platform, so you can edit Microsoft® Office Word and PowerPoint® files2 right on your BlackBerry smartphone.
HTML and Rich Text Email Rendering – View HTML and rich text email messages with original formatting. Font colors and styles, embedded images, hyperlinks, tables, bullets and other formatting will all appear as originally sent.
Record and send a Voice Note – Can't type at the moment? Just record a Voice Note and send it as an email attachment or Multimedia Message (MMS). Or, record new thoughts and ideas and play them back to yourself later.
Record video on the go – Now you can capture the action virtually wherever you go with video recording capabilities on your current BlackBerry smartphone!3,4,5
Networking Features Available to BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Users1:Requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server v4.1.6 or higher.
Remote Search for Messages – Search for and retrieve email messages from your email server – even if the message is no longer stored on your BlackBerry smartphone.
Free-Busy Calendar Lookup – Now you can check the calendars of your colleagues, to easily look up their availability before sending a meeting request.
Advanced Enterprise Instant Messaging and Presence – If your company runs IBM® Lotus Sametime® and Microsoft® Live Communications Server you'll enjoy a range of enhanced IM features like contact "click to call", IM session "convert to call" and advanced emoticon (smiley) support.
Enhanced Security and Management Features for IT – In addition to the productivity enhancements, the new BlackBerry device software updates make life easier for IT administrators, with a wide range of features to enhance security and streamline management of the BlackBerry deployment.
Check with your organization's IT department for upgrade plans. Note that some features may be restricted depending on your company's IT policies.
HTML Email Viewing with BlackBerry Device Software v4.5
Sample html email as it might appear in your BlackBerry smartphone email window with images downloaded.
To help customers conserve bandwidth and data usage, BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 does not automatically load images. You choose which emails you wish to view with images by selecting Get Images from the email menu.
Important to note:
- Certain features may not be available on every BlackBerry smartphone - please refer to the compatibility information and check with your carrier for availability.
- The BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 download on blackberry.com is available for BlackBerry® Internet Service users only.
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server users, please contact your IT department for information on your organization's upgrade plan for BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.
See more features »
Check feature availability with your BlackBerry smartphone »
Latest BlackBerry smartphones »
BlackBerry Trade Up Program » -- get cash back for your old smartphone or other mobile device when you purchase a new BlackBerry smartphone
BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 »
1. For devices supported in a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server environment, BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software v4.1.6 is required.
2. When you subscribe for, acquire, or use third party products and services you accept that: 1. It is your sole responsibility to (a) ensure that your airtime service provider will support all of their features; (b) identify and acquire all required intellectual property and other licences prior to installation or use and to comply with the terms of such licences; 2. RIM provides such products and services on an "AS IS" basis with no express or implied conditions, endorsements, guarantees, representations or warranties of any kind, and assumes no liability whatsoever with respect to them.
3. Data plan activation required.
4. In order to record video clips a microSD card must be properly inserted in the BlackBerry® smartphone. MicroSD cards may be sold separately.
5. Video recording requires a BlackBerry® smartphone with a camera, but is not supported on the BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8100 smartphone.
* Offers subject to change without notice. Please check offer details for more information. Void where prohibited. Check with service provider for availability, roaming arrangements and service plans. Certain features outlined in this document require a minimum version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server software, BlackBerry Desktop Software, BlackBerry Device Software and/or BlackBerry devices and may require additional development or third party products and/or services for access to corporate applications. Prior to subscribing to or implementing any third party products and services, it is your responsibility to ensure that the airtime service provider you are working with has agreed to support all of the features of the third party products and services. Installation and use of third party products and services with Research In Motion's ("RIM") products and services may require one or more patent, trademark or copyright licenses in order to avoid infringement of the intellectual property rights of others. You are solely responsible for determining whether such third party licenses are required and are responsible for acquiring any such licenses. To the extent that such intellectual property licenses may be required, RIM expressly recommends that you do not install or use these products and services until all such applicable licenses have been acquired by you or on your behalf. Your use of third party software shall be governed by and subject to you agreeing to the terms of separate software licenses, if any, for those products or services. Any third party products or services that are provided with RIM products and services are provided "as is." RIM makes no representation, warranty or guarantee whatsoever in relation to the third party products or services and RIM assumes no liability whatsoever in relation to the third party products and services, even if RIM has been advised of the possibility of such damages or can anticipate such damages.
The above information regarding third party products and services is provided in BlackBerry Connection for your information. Since third parties provide the information to Research In Motion Limited ("RIM") and RIM relies on the information without performing any independent investigations, RIM makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the features, reliability, or pricing of the third party products or services, or their compatibility with any RIM products.
© 2008 Research In Motion Limited. All Rights Reserved. BlackBerry®, RIM®, Research In Motion®, SureType® and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.