Tips & Tricks:
How to switch devices using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0
New software update makes upgrading to a new BlackBerry smartphone easier than ever.
Time to start a new romance? Our new BlackBerry® smartphones still have everything you love about your current device. But now there's even more to love, including faster web browsing, uploads and downloads; a new trackpad that makes scrolling easier than ever; and, enhanced multimedia that lets you take your music, videos, pictures and more with you.
BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6.0 makes switching to a new smartphone fast and easy. Your device data and settings from your previous BlackBerry device, such as email messages, organizer data, and third-party applications that are compatible with your new device, are imported to your new device. If your email account is associated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, your email settings are also imported to your new device.
What you will need:
Before you switch from your current BlackBerry device to a new BlackBerry device, you should verify that you have the most recent version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software on your computer. If you don't already have it installed on your computer, download BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0 now.
Step 1 - Copy your data and applications (messages, calendar entries, contacts, third party applications, etc.)
Move your data (messages, calendar entries, contacts etc.)
What you will need:
- Open BlackBerry Desktop Software.
- From the Device menu, select 'Switch devices'.
- Plug your current (original) device into your computer then click the icon for your device. To transfer your existing device data to your new device, select the Device data check box. To transfer any third-party applications that are compatible with your new device, select the Third-party applications check box.
- Click Next.
Note: After your data and applications have been transferred to your new device, you will be asked if you want to remove them from your original device.
Step 2 - Move the files on your media card
Do one of the following:
- Remove the media card from your old device and insert it in your new device.
- Copy the files from your media card to your computer, then copy them from your computer to your new device. When you connect your device to your computer, simply turn on USB when prompted and your computer will access your device as an external drive.
Step 3 – Move your service and BlackBerry App World™ applications
Move your phone and data service
- Remove the SIM card from your old device.
- Insert the SIM card into your new BlackBerry smartphone.
Move your email service
- Launch the Setup application on your new smartphone.
- Click the Email Accounts icon
- Follow the prompts to move your email account(s) to your new smartphone.
Move your social networking applications
- Launch the Setup application on your new smartphone..
- Click the Social Networking icon.
- Click the application(s) you'd like to set up and follow the prompts.
Move your apps from your old BlackBerry smartphone to your new BlackBerry smartphone
- Launch the BlackBerry App World storefront application on your new BlackBerry smartphone. If you don't see the BlackBerry App World icon on your Home screen, you may need to download the application. Get the BlackBerry App World application by clicking here.
- Click the My World icon.
- Log in or create a BlackBerry ID account.
- Follow the prompts to migrate your previously purchased apps to your new BlackBerry smartphone.
That's all there is to it!
Note: Not all applications will be compatible with your new BlackBerry smartphone. To learn more about BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0, please review the User Guide, which can be found here.