Managing the link between your BlackBerry smartphone and your PC has never been easier
With the new, easy-to-use interface in BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6.0 for PC you can synchronize your personal information and manage your BlackBerry smartphone with automatic backups and updates. And with BlackBerry® Media Sync built-in, you can sync your favorite music, pictures, and videos in a few easy steps.
- Easy-to-use, updated interface: Easily connect, synchronize, manage, and update your BlackBerry smartphone.
- Built-in BlackBerry Media Sync: Sync music, photos, and videos to and from your BlackBerry smartphone. It’s easy to import your favorite desktop iTunes1 or Windows Media® music files.
- Back up and restore data: Safeguard your data with regular backups, or set the automatic backup option.
- Easy application management: Easily add and remove applications, games, and much more.
- Automatic device software updates: Keep your BlackBerry smartphone software up to date and receive automatic alerts about new updates.
- Organizer synchronization: Integrating your contacts, calendar appointments, tasks, and memos with a desktop computer has never been easier. Compatible with Microsoft® Outlook®, Windows® Calendar, IBM® Lotus Notes®, and Yahoo!®.2
1 iTunes is a trademark of Apple Inc. Windows Media is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
2 Microsoft, Outlook, and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. IBM and Lotus Notes are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation. Yahoo! is a trademark of Yahoo! Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Get your most important personal information from virtually any location
Here's a simple, free, and satisfying way to spend 15 minutes: Set up automatic—and wireless—sync your personal Google® email, contact list, and calendar across your BlackBerry® smartphone and home and work computers. It's easy to set up by signing up for a web-based Gmail® account and setting it up on your BlackBerry smartphone.
BlackBerry exclusive: Sample Robert Plant's new album Band of Joy in a FREE app in BlackBerry App World™ that includes exclusive interviews, music videos, and behind-the-scenes footage! The former Led Zeppelin front man is one of rock's living gods so fans will want to snap up his latest work. His previous album with Alison Krauss won multiple Grammy Awards in 2009 including Album of the Year.
Bonus material includes:
- Unreleased live tracks
- News and exclusive interview footage
- Integration with Robert Plant's Facebook® page
Should you call a superhero? No, try the BlackBerry Protect app coming soon
Finding a lost, misplaced, or stolen BlackBerry smartphone will soon be much easier with BlackBerry® Protect. This free app lets you back up, lock, locate, or wipe your smartphone from wherever you are, so you can ensure your data stays secure. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, you can try it in advance in the BlackBerry® Beta Zone. (Become a beta tester here.) Once installed, you can log into the BlackBerry® Protect website to activate any of these features:
- Automatically back up your data, wirelessly: You can back up your contacts, calendar, memos, tasks, and browser bookmarks as often as you choose (daily, weekly, or monthly).
- Restore data from your last smartphone: Restore device settings, databases, and personal information (PIM)—whatever you had backed up on your previous smartphone. As much or as little as you choose.
- Wipe your BlackBerry smartphone remotely: You can log in to the BlackBerry Protect website and wipe the content from both the device memory and microSD™ cards remotely. You won't need to think twice about who's got your data.
- Locate your BlackBerry smartphone: See where your smartphone is using cell tower and GPS technologies.
- Lock your BlackBerry smartphone remotely: Ensure your data is safe by locking your device remotely with a password.
- Activate loud ringing from your desktop. If you've misplaced your smartphone, you can make it ring on full volume for one minute—so you can quickly find where it might be.
Check with your service provider for roaming arrangements, service plans and supported features and services.
When you subscribe for, acquire, or use third party products and services with RIM products or services you accept that: 1. It is your sole responsibility to (a) ensure that your airtime service provider will support all of their features; (b) identify and acquire all required intellectual property and other licenses prior to installation or use and to comply with the terms of such licenses; 2. RIM provides such products and services on an “AS IS” basis with no express or implied conditions, endorsements, guarantees, representations or warranties of any kind, and assumes no liability whatsoever with respect to them.
Love your BlackBerry smartphone? Is there something you would change if you could? We want to hear your opinions and feedback! Join our BlackBerry panel today!
- Help shape important BlackBerry decisions
- Be part of an influential research community of BlackBerry users from around the globe
- Get the inside scoop on how your results are shaping BlackBerry products and services
Do you have a Windows Live Hotmail account setup on your BlackBerry smartphone?
Periodically you need to revalidate your Windows Live™ email address (including Hotmail and MSN®) to keep them working with your BlackBerry smartphone. That time is fast approaching.
To revalidate your Hotmail email account you need to confirm your account password on your BlackBerry smartphone by the expiration date. Otherwise you will not be able to send or receive email messages from this account. To revalidate your account:
- Click the Email Settings or Email Setup icon in your Setup folder or the home screen of your BlackBerry smartphone.
- If required input your User Name and Password.
- From the email accounts list, select the Edit option located beneath your Hotmail account or, depending on your smartphone, click on the account and select the Edit option.
- Type the password for your Hotmail account in the password field and submit.
Notice: For security purposes Microsoft requires Windows Live Hotmail email users to revalidate their account password every 360 days. Three days prior to your revalidation date you will receive instructions via a PIN message and/or an email notice. Other email accounts on your BlackBerry smartphone will not be affected.
It's easy with the new BlackBerry Desktop Software 6. Plus: Updating BBM the right way.
It is an unfortunate fact of mobile living that you may misplace your BlackBerry smartphone. While the smartphone itself is easily replaced, your contacts, appointments, messages, and the like are not—unless you back them up to your computer. And with the new BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6 for PC backing up and restoring the data on your BlackBerry smartphone is easier that ever.
Bonus tip: While upgrading to a newer version of BlackBerry® Messenger a small number of BlackBerry smartphone users have had their BBM™ icons disappear from the home screen. If you are experiencing this problem while upgrading to a newer BBM version, follow the steps in this tip.