Wirelessly Sync with Your Google Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar
Get your most important personal information from virtually any location
Here's a simple, free, and satisfying way to spend 15 minutes: Set up automatic—and wireless—sync your personal Google® email, contact list, and calendar across your BlackBerry® smartphone and home and work computers. It's easy to set up by signing up for a web-based Gmail® account and setting it up on your BlackBerry smartphone.
Once set up, you get one up-to-date personal email account, one contact list, and one calendar accessible from virtually any web-connected location and device. When you add a new appointment to your BlackBerry calendar, it will automatically appear on your home computer when you access Google Calendar from the web. Same with contacts: Add a new contact from your work computer through your Gmail address book, and it will automatically appear in your BlackBerry contacts list.
- Have one up-to-date personal email account, contact list, and calendar from virtually any location, across all web-connected devices you own
- Over-the-air synchronization; no need to connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer using a USB cable
- Backup your emails, contacts, and events at an offsite location (i.e. Google's servers)
- When you get a new BlackBerry smartphone, you can quickly add your contacts and calendar events
What you need to get started
To complete this project you will need:
- Your BlackBerry smartphone with an active data plan.
- BlackBerry Device Software v5.0 or higher. (Get it here.)
- A free, active Google Gmail account (email, address book, and calendar are included). Sign up here.
How to set up your Gmail account on your BlackBerry smartphone
Follow these steps:
- On the Home screen or in a folder, click Setup.
- On the Setup screen click Email Setup.
- Click the Add button.
- Select Gmail from the list, then click Next.
- Add your Gmail address and password, then click Next.
- Scroll down and expand Synchronization Options.
- Check the Contacts and Calendar checkboxes, and then click Next.
- Confirm your Google Mail password, and then click OK.
Your emails, contacts, and calendar will start to synchronize. Please note that:
- Data synchronization may take several minutes to update on the BlackBerry smartphone
- Synchronization is two-way, meaning that any changes you make on your BlackBerry smartphone will appear on your Gmail Address Book, and vice versa
- Contact synchronization occurs every four hours and is limited to 10,000 contacts
Where to get help
Note: Two-way wireless contact synchronization with the Google Mail contact list requires BlackBerry Device Software 5.0. Synchronization must be configured through email settings on the BlackBerry smartphone. Additional requirements and constraints may be found within the BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8 documentation kit. This feature is not supported on BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry® Connect™ software.
Note: Google Mail contact synchronization is not supported on versions of BlackBerry Device Software earlier than version 5.0.284.