Does the New BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express Change Everything?
Connect everyone in your organization free—without compromising on security and manageability
If price has been a barrier to connecting more employees to their work email and calendar, then we've got exciting news you will want to hear.
In less than a week Research In Motion (RIM) will be launching BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express, a FREE download that lets you connect employees' BlackBerry smartphones to work email, calendar, contact list, notes, memos, and more without software and licensing costs. Get your first look at the key features and benefits, how it works, and the opportunities for IT departments large and small.
What is BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express?
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express is a FREE download that exists to make the BlackBerry solution accessible to all, within any sized organization. It provides the core mobility, security, and manageability features of the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, but without the licensing and software costs. And not just through email, but with full wireless sync, remote file access, applications, and more.
- It is perfect for small- and medium-sized businesses who until now could not justify connecting employees' BlackBerry smartphones to the company IT systems
- Large organizations will also benefit, as they now have an easy, low-cost, secure way to connect employee-owned BlackBerry smartphones to the company IT infrastructure
- IT departments at all organizations will no longer need to comprise on security, manageability, and price
For employees this is big news
This is big news for employees who carry two smartphones, one for work and one for personal life, or if they have been wanting the benefits and freedom of having full email, calendar, and contact synch on their personal BlackBerry smartphone. Many, many readers tell us they would love “to get their work email on their personal BlackBerry smartphone.” Now they can.
Here are a few of the things employees can do:
- Connect to work email with such advanced features as organizing and filing mail folders, setting follow-up flags, and search
- See work calendar and check the free/busy status of colleagues on the go, make appointments, and set reminders
- Look up work contacts, check addresses on the road, send emails, and place calls
- Access work applications and files from behind the network firewall
- Offers many of the same security features as BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Use mobile applications to access business systems beyond the firewall
- Works on any Internet-enabled BlackBerry data plan or BlackBerry Enterprise data plan
- Available as a FREE software download with no licensing costs
- Includes the basic security and management functionality of BlackBerry Enterprise Server v5.0.1 for organizations who don’t require higher-end features, along with the latest end-user enhancements
- The web-based interface allows remote administration and makes it easy to install the software, connect BlackBerry smartphones, and apply usage policies
Runs on the Microsoft® Exchange® or Microsoft® Windows® Small Business Server
- Certified for up to 75 users when installed directly on the mail server
- Microsoft Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 or Microsoft Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 and 2008
- For greater than 75 users, can be installed on a separate server and support up to 2,000 users
Easy-to-use management console
The BlackBerry® Administration Service provides web-based access to do the following:
- Manage smartphones in your organization, including resetting passwords, or remotely wiping lost or stolen smartphones
- Choose from more than 35 IT policies
- Delegate tasks with six preconfigured IT administration roles
- Deploy and manage applications over-the-air*
- Schedule device, application, and IT policy updates
- Update BlackBerry® Device Software wirelessly
Did we mention it is free?
As a free solution, you will likely rethink your strategy for giving your workforce mobile access to work email, calendar, contacts, and behind-the-firewall applications and documents.
*Over-the-air (OTA) updates require a BlackBerry Enterprise data plan.