Admin Tip: Reload BlackBerry Device Software with BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Windows
Occasionally you may need to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry® Device Software. This month's admin tip explains one method using the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager for Windows.
Before proceeding, make sure that the latest version of BlackBerry® smartphone software is installed on the computer:
- Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Click Help > About BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Click the Device Software tab.
- Verify that the BlackBerry Device Software displayed is the latest version available from the wireless service provider.
For instructions on how to download the latest versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Device Software, see KB12532.
FOR BLACKBERRY DESKTOP MANAGER V4.5 TO V5.0 SP1
To perform a clean installation of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager v4.5 to v5.0 SP1, perform the following steps.
Warning: The following procedure will delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the BlackBerry smartphone data before proceeding. For backup instructions, see KB12487.
- Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Double-click Application Loader.
- Click Next to start the installation process.
- Type the password for the BlackBerry smartphone, if prompted, and then click OK.
- Select the check boxes next to the names of the applications to be loaded, and then click Next.
- Click Settings, and then select the check boxes beside Delete all application data and Erase all currently installed applications.
- Clear the check box next to Back up device data automatically during the installation process.
- Click OK > Next > Finish.
- When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
FOR BLACKBERRY DESKTOP MANAGER V4.1 TO V4.3
To perform a clean installation of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager v4.1 to v4.3, complete steps 1 through 5, above, and then proceed with the following:
- Click Advanced, and then select the check boxes beside Erase all application data and Erase all currently installed applications.
- Click Next.
- Select the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process (if prompted).
- Clear the check box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly (if prompted).
- Click Next > Finish.
How to do a web-based update
For information on performing a web-based BlackBerry Device Software update, see KB16068.