Tips & Tricks: Video Settings
In last month’s BlackBerry® Connection®, we focused on how to take better photographs with your BlackBerry® smartphone and how to master the camera settings. This month, we delve into video settings—showing you how to easily take, save, share videos and more.
Tips for Taking Videos
Launch the Video Camera
Open the video camera by selecting the Media icon, clicking the Videos icon, and then clicking Video Camera. By using a media card, you’ll be able to take and save many more videos.
Record a video
- To begin recording, click the trackball.
- To pause recording at any time, click the trackball again.
- With recording paused, the following options become available:
- Resume recording, represented by the circle icon.
- Stop recording, represented by the square icon. This will save the video automatically.
- Play video, represented by the triangle icon. Selecting this will also save the video automatically.
- Rename and Save, represented by the folder icon. This is similar to the Stop option but gives you the opportunity to name the file.
- Delete video, represented by the trashcan icon.
- Send video, represented by the envelope icon. This will save the video automatically. You then have the option to send as an email or MMS.
Video camera shortcuts
• To zoom in to a subject before video capture, roll the trackball up.
• To zoom out from a subject before video capture, roll the trackball down.
• To turn on low-light mode, enabling the LED light, press the Space key.
View the amount of memory available for recording videos
In the video camera application, a bar located in the lower-left corner of the screen shows the approximate amount of memory available for recording videos. More blue segments on the bar means more space for video.
Change the aspect ratio of captured video
- In the video camera, press the Menu key.
- Click Options.
- Click the Video Format field and select between normal and MMS aspect ratios.
- Press the Menu key.
- Click Save.
Enable the LED light during video capture by default
- 1. In the video camera application, press the Menu key.
- Click Options.
- Click the word Off to the right of Video Light and change it to On.
- Press the Menu key.
- Click Save.
What to do if the light dims or turns off
If the battery power level drops below 20 percent, the light dims to conserve battery power. In cold temperatures, if the battery power level drops below 20 percent, the light might turn off instead of dim.
Tips for Saving and Sending Videos
Send a video
- You can send a video in two ways, either:
- Enter the media browser
- Enter Videos
- Highlight the video you want to send
- Press the Menu button
- Depending on the size of the file, you will be given the option to send the video as an MMS, email, or via Bluetooth®.
- Record a video with the Video Camera application
- Select the Send video option from the Pause Recording menu. This is the envelope icon on the far right. You can then select to send as email or MMS.
- Your address book will open if you select the MMS option. Select the person you want to send the video to. If you select email, a new email message will open.
- Based on the contact info available for the person you've chosen, you'll be given a choice of locations to send the video to. You can send video to other smartphones or to an email address.
What to do if you cannot save videos
Your BlackBerry smartphone memory or media card might not have enough available memory to store pictures or videos.
Try performing the following actions:
- If you are trying to save a video to your smartphone memory, delete old data or messages from your device.
- If you are trying to save a video on your media card, delete old media files.
Where to find help:
- The Help! Icon on your smartphone
- Your wireless service provider
- More Tips & Tricks on BlackBerry 101
- Smartphone Support
- Latest Troubleshooting documents are posted in the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center
- BlackBerry Incident Based Support for pay-per-call service
- BlackBerry Support Community Forums @ supportforums.blackberry.com
* Offers subject to change without notice. Please check offer details for more information. Void where prohibited. Check with service provider for availability, roaming arrangements and service plans. Certain features outlined in this document require a minimum version of BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software, BlackBerry® Desktop Software, BlackBerry® Device Software and/or BlackBerry devices and may require additional development or third party products and/or services for access to corporate applications. Prior to subscribing to or implementing any third party products and services, it is your responsibility to ensure that the airtime service provider you are working with has agreed to support all of the features of the third party products and services. Installation and use of third party products and services with Research In Motion's ("RIM") products and services may require one or more patent, trademark or copyright licenses in order to avoid infringement of the intellectual property rights of others. You are solely responsible for determining whether such third party licenses are required and are responsible for acquiring any such licenses. To the extent that such intellectual property licenses may be required, RIM expressly recommends that you do not install or use these products and services until all such applicable licenses have been acquired by you or on your behalf. Your use of third party software shall be governed by and subject to you agreeing to the terms of separate software licenses, if any, for those products or services. Any third party products or services that are provided with RIM products and services are provided "as is." RIM makes no representation, warranty or guarantee whatsoever in relation to the third party products or services and RIM assumes no liability whatsoever in relation to the third party products and services, even if RIM has been advised of the possibility of such damages or can anticipate such damages.
The above information regarding third party products and services is provided in BlackBerry Connection for your information. Since third parties provide the information to Research In Motion Limited ("RIM") and RIM relies on the information without performing any independent investigations, RIM makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the features, reliability, or pricing of the third party products or services, or their compatibility with any RIM products.
© 2009 Research In Motion Limited. All Rights Reserved. BlackBerry®, RIM®, Research In Motion®, SureType® and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.